January 30 through April 4 are the official dates for "64 Days of Nonviolence". Poly Counselors hope that each student will incorporate these behaviors throughout their lives!
1. Today, I will reflect on what peace means to me.
2. Today, I will look at opportunities to be a peacemaker.
3. Today, I will practice nonviolence and respect for Mother Earth by making good use of her resources.
4. Today, I will take time to admire and appreciate nature.
5. Today, I will plant seeds--plants or constructive ideas.
6. Today, I will hold a vision of plenty for all the world's hungry and be open to guidance as to how I can help alleviate some of that hunger.
7. Today, I will acknowledge every human being's fundamental right to justice, equity, and equality.
8. Today, I will appreciate the earth's bounty and all of those who work to make my food available (i.e., grower, trucker, grocery clerk, cook, waitress, etc.)
9. Today, I will work to understand and respect another culture.
10. Today, I will oppose injustice, not people.
11. Today, I will look beyond stereotypes and prejudices.
12. Today, I will choose to be aware of what I talk about and I will refuse to gossip.
13. Today, I will live in the present moment and release the past.
14. Today, I will silently acknowledge all the leaders throughout the world.
15. Today, I will speak with kindness, respect, and patience to every person that I talk with on the telephone.
16. Today, I will affirm my value and worth with positive "self talk" and refuse to put myself down.
17. Today, I will tell the truth and speak honestly from the heart.
18. Today, I will cause a ripple effect of good by an act of kindness toward another.
19. Today, I will choose to use my talents to serve others by volunteering a portion of my time.
20. Today, I will say a blessing for greater understanding whenever I see evidence of crime, vandalism, or graffiti.
21. Today, I will say "No" to ideas or actions that violate me or others.
22. Today, I will turn off anything that portrays or supports violence whether on television, in the movies, or on the Internet.
23. Today, I will greet this day--everyone and everything--with openness and acceptance as if I were encountering them for the first time.
24. Today, I will drive with tolerance and patience.
25. Today, I will constructively channel my anger, frustration, or jealousy into healthy physical activities (i.e., doing sit-ups, picking up trash, taking a walk, etc).
26. Today, I will take time to appreciate the people who provide me with challenges in my life, especially those who make me angry or frustrated.
27. Today, I will talk less and listen more.
28. Today, I will notice the peacefulness in the world around me.
29. Today, I will recognize that my actions directly affect others.
30. Today, I will take time to tell a family member or friend how much they mean to me.
31. Today, I will acknowledge and thank someone for acting kindly.
32. Today, I will send a kind, anonymous message to someone.
33. Today, I will identify something special in everyone I meet.
34. Today, I will discuss ideas about nonviolence with a friend to gain new perspectives.
35. Today, I will practice praise rather than criticism.
36. Today, I will strive to learn from my mistakes.
37. Today, I will tell at least one person they are special and important.
38. Today, I will hold children tenderly in thought and/or action.
39. Today, I will listen without defending and speak without judgment.
40. Today, I will help someone in trouble.
41. Today, I will listen with an open heart to at least one person.
42. Today, I will treat the elderly I encounter with respect and dignity.
43. Today, I will treat the children I encounter with respect and care, knowing that I serve as a model to them.
44. Today, I will see my co-workers in a new light--with understanding and compassion.
45. Today, I will be open to other ways of thinking and acting that are different from my own.
46. Today, I will think of at least three alternate ways I can handle a situation when confronted with conflict.
47. Today, I will work to help others resolve differences.
48. Today, I will express my feelings honestly and nonviolently with respect for myself and others.
49. Today, I will sit down with my family for one meal.
50. Today, I will set an example of a peacemaker by promoting nonviolent responses.
51. Today, I will use no violent language.
52. Today, I will pause for reflection.
53. Today, I will hold no one hostage to the past, seeing each-as I see myself-as a work in progress.
54. Today, I will make a conscious effort to smile at someone whom I have held a grudge against in the past.
55. Today, I will practice compassion and forgiveness by apologizing to someone whom I have hurt in the past.
56. Today, I will reflect on whom I need to forgive and take at least one step in that direction.
57. Today, I will forgive myself.
58. Today, I will embrace the spiritual belief of my heart in my own personal and reflective way.
59. Today, I will enlarge my capacity to embrace differences and appreciate the value of every human being.
60. Today, I will be compassionate in my thoughts, words, and actions.
61. Today, I will cultivate my moral strength and courage through education and creative nonviolent action.
62. Today, I will practice compassion and forgiveness for myself and others.
63. Today, I will use my talents to serve others as well as myself.
64. Today, I will serve humanity by dedicating myself to a vision greater than myself.