Letters of Recommendation
|Preparation||Update or complete your Student Profile and resume.|
|Timeline||Allow ample time for the teacher or counselor to write your letter |
Give the letter writer at least two weeks!
Provide the letter writer with a date that the letter is due.
For the Secondary School Report: Addressed letter sized envelope
Two 1st class stamps for your counselor letters and Secondary School Report.
Return address: Long Beach Poly, 1600 Atlantic Ave., Long Beach, CA 90813
OR your counselor can stamp it with a return address stamp.
Private College Application and Letters of Recommendation
- Create a file folder for each person you are asking to write letters of recommendation for you. Include a Student Profile and/or resume for each person from whom you are requesting a letter.
- Fill out the Letter of Recommendation Request form and insert it in your folder for your counselor. Sort through your private school applications and find the Secondary School Reports, Supplemental Forms (if required), and Mid -Year Evaluation forms for each school to which you will apply. Address a stamped (two stamps) business sized envelope (self stick envelopes are very much appreciated) to the admissions office of each of the schools. Your counselor will stamp the return address on the envelope. Attach the forms to the envelopes with a paper clip. Put them in the folder. Remember, UCs and CSUs do not require letters of recommendation or transcripts. Give the folder directly to your counselor.
- Provide your other recommender with a folder as well. The folder will include a Letter of Recommendation Request form, listing all of the schools (and due dates) to which you are applying so that letters can be written at one time to ease the burden on the letter writer. Deliver the folder to the person so that you allow fifteen to twenty school days before the earliest deadline.
- Finish this task before Thanksgiving Break (or sooner, if possible!). As you receive acceptances and scholarships, let those who wrote you letters know so that we can celebrate your good fortune. They will appreciate knowing of your successes!
- When you apply for scholarships, you can return to the letter writer with specific information about what the scholarship committee is requesting so that the letter can be, if necessary, adjusted to meet those requirements. Provide the letter writer with at least ten school days lead time. Forms should be completed prior to giving them to the letter writer.