Types of Financial Aid


1.      FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid
  • Obtain a pin number for the FAFSA. Go to www.pin.ed.gov to sign up. The student and the parent/guardian will each need a pin number. Do this in October or November of your child’s Senior year.
  • Aid is based on income - Calculate your estimated family contribution by going to www.collegeboard.com and using the financial aid calculator, using the FM (Federal Methodology).
  • FAFSA is due between January 1, and March 2, of the Senior year.
  • Website - www.fafsa.ed.gov/ NOT fafsa.com!!!!
  • Families may go to the website and see the previous year’s form, print it, fill it out, then be prepared for January.
2. GPA Verification/Cal Grant
  • Based on GPA and income.
  • This information is transmitted electronically by Poly.
  • You will be asked to make sure you got a GPA verification form from your counselor - this is submitted electronically by Poly.
  • This is referred to by both terms “Cal Grant” and “GPA Verification”
  • This money is only available if you attend a California college or university.
3.      CSS Profile
  • Used by many private schools. Generally available October 1, of the Senior year. It is important to follow college deadlines! Check the college admissions website!
  • A different calculation for family contribution is used.   Go to: www.collegeboard.com and use the financial aid calculator, using the IM (Institutional Methodology) to calculate the amount your family will be expected to pay.
  • Register and complete forms on www.collegeboard.com                           
4. Scholarships
  • Scholarships are available through a variety of sources, such as www.fastweb.com
  • Do not pay for a scholarship search!
  • Peruse the Poly website and look at the bulletins for information about scholarships. Check with the Career Center for scholarship information.            Go to Poly Website