1. FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid
- Obtain a pin number for the FAFSA. Go to www.pin.ed.gov to sign up. The student and the parent/guardian will each need a pin number. Do this in October or November of your child’s Senior year.
- Aid is based on income - Calculate your estimated family contribution by going to www.collegeboard.com and using the financial aid calculator, using the FM (Federal Methodology).
- FAFSA is due between January 1, and March 2, of the Senior year.
- Website - www.fafsa.ed.gov/ NOT fafsa.com!!!!
- Families may go to the website and see the previous year’s form, print it, fill it out, then be prepared for January.
2. GPA Verification/Cal Grant
- Based on GPA and income.
- This information is transmitted electronically by Poly.
- You will be asked to make sure you got a GPA verification form from your counselor - this is submitted electronically by Poly.
- This is referred to by both terms “Cal Grant” and “GPA Verification”
- This money is only available if you attend a California college or university.
3. CSS Profile
- Used by many private schools. Generally available October 1, of the Senior year. It is important to follow college deadlines! Check the college admissions website!
- A different calculation for family contribution is used. Go to: www.collegeboard.com and use the financial aid calculator, using the IM (Institutional Methodology) to calculate the amount your family will be expected to pay.
- Register and complete forms on www.collegeboard.com